Vim - the ubiquitous text editor
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to make creating and
changing any kind of text very efficient.
It is included as "vi" with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
Vim is rock stable and is continuously being developed to become even better.
Among its features are:
- persistent, multi-level undo tree
- extensive plugin system
- support for hundreds of programming languages and file formats
- powerful search and replace
- integrates with many tools
is the current version
Vim 25 birthday presentation
On November 2nd I did a presentation about Vim at Google Zurich.
This is exactly 25 years since the first public version of Vim was
The presentation gives an overview of Vim history and highlights the
important choices that were made. With background information on
my personal life and what was the state of computing, the context in
which Vim was developed.
You can find it on Youtube.
Nice article about Vim on hostingadvice.com
Releasing version 8.0 and getting close to the 25th birthday inspired the writing of
It contains links to relevant info and can be used to convince a friend to start using Vim.
Happy 25th birthday!
Vim version 1.14 was the first public release of Vim, distributed on Fred Fish disk 591. The executable has the version information "Vi IMitation v1.14 (Nov 2 1991 0:36:35)". That is exactly 25 years ago.
Raise your glass to Vim! (Bram Moolenaar)
Vim: The power tool for everyone!
See pictures of Bram's latest visit to Uganda on
Read the visit report on the ICCF website.
| Recent Script Updates
|| 5,389 scripts, 11,614,480 downloads
|| vim-workspace : The Vim Workspace Manager.
||(1.6.2) - Last writer wins in workspaces: if multiple Vim sessions have the same files open at the same time, this ensures that there's no clobbering of data and files update seamlessly between the two instances.
- FocusGained and FocusLost will now trigger file autosave (and/or sync) when in/out of editor focus.
- Bug fix: fixed sporadic redraw issue coming from toggling a workspace off.
- Bug fix: ... - Thaer Khawaja
|| istanbul.vim : Code coverage visualizer for istanbul coverage.json
||(1.1) - Change to json-ponyfill.vim
- Remove keymaps to prevent confliction with CTRL-I (Go to newer cursor position) - Retorillo
|| json-ponyfill.vim : Provide json_decode and json_encode to the former version of VIM.
||(1.0) - Change name to json-ponyfill.vim
- Implement json_ponyfill#json_encode - Retorillo
|| git log : A Git Tree, Log and History Viewer and Diff Tool
||(6.0.0) vimgitlog now works on windows.
BUG: Windows needs to pass unix paths to git
BUG: Fix pathing for file diff
BUG: Part of fix case-sensitive directory ordering.
BUG: Fix setup for multi-byte encoding.
BUG: Fix path handling for windows. - Peter Antoine
|| vim-www : Toolbox to open & search URLs from vim
||(1.1.0) - Adds cygwin support
- Fixes URL escaping issues
- Revisits and centralizes shell escape and dispatching for all handlers
- Adds gitlab to the defaults - Marc Busqué Pérez
|more recent |
most downloaded |
The tips are located on the
Vim Tips wiki.
This is a platform to exchange tips and tricks from and for Vim users.
| Vim Tips